Ownership transformation of state enterprises as of February 28, 2006
In the period between August 1, 1990 and the end of February 2006, privatisation processes were initiated in 5,723 (21)1 state enterprises under the Act on Privatisation of State Enterprises, the Act on Commercialisation and Privatisation of State Enterprises and article 19 of the Act on State Enterprises.
In the register of state enterprises (REGON), as of December 31, 2005, there were 1,029 state enterprises2, including 24 enterprises for which the founding body was the Minister of the Treasury and one state bank.
As of February 28, 2006, 1,584 (9) state enterprises were commercialised (i.e. 27.7% of the total number of enterprises under transformation), which resulted in establishment of:
- 1,567 (9) sole shareholder companies of the Treasury,
- 17companies with participation of creditors, in accordance with Section III of the Act on Commercialisation and Privatisation (commercialisation with conversion of liabilities).
Within the period January – February 2006, six state enterprises were commercialised for which the founding body was:
The governor of the podlaskie province – 2 enterprises,
The governor of the dolnośląskie province – 1 enterprise,
The governor of the opolskie province – 1 enterprise,
The governor of the śląskie province – 1 enterprise,
The governor of the zachodniopomorskie province – 1 enterprise.
Between August 1, 1990 and February 28, 2006, the Ministry of Ownership Transformation / Ministry of the Treasury and the Privatisation Agency made available shares / stakes in1,021 (3) Treasury companies:
- 6 (2)through taking up shares in the increased initial capital of sole shareholder companies of the Treasury by entities specified in article1, paragraph 2.1 of the Act on Commercialisation and Privatisation,
- 359 (1) – by way of indirect privatisation (sole shareholder companies of the Treasury),
- 17 - in accordance with Section III of the Act on Commercialisation and Privatisation,
- 127- under the framework of BPU (banking settlement procedure) – liabilities swap,
- 512 - by way of contribution of shares / stakes to National Investment Funds (NFI).
In the period January - February 2006, privatisation of 5 companies with partial Treasury shareholding was continued through the sale of subsequent blocks of shares, including the sale in February of shares in 2 companies:
- APATOR MINING Sp. z o.o. w Katowicach- 2.5% of shares, investor APATOR S.A., privatisation completed,
- Zakłady Azotowe PUŁAWY S.A. w Puławach – 1 share, the Warsaw Stock Exchange.
Also in February 2006 blocks of shares in 2 National Investment Funds were sold off:
- FOKSAL NARODOWY FUNDUSZ INWESTYCYJNY S.A. – 1.31% of shares,
- ZACHODNI FUNDUSZ INWESTYCYJNY NFI S.A. – 0,17% of shares, privatisation completed.
Between August 1, 1990 and the end of February 2006, 2,254 (7) applications for direct privatisation were accepted, in accordance with article 37 of the Act on Privatisation of State Enterprises and article 39 of the Act on Commercialisation and Privatisation (that figure accounts for 39.4% of the total number of transformed enterprises). 2,164 (9) state enterprises were struck from the register.
In the period January - February 2006, 1 application for direct privatisation was approved and 7 directly privatised state enterprises were struck from the register of enterprises.
In the period between August 1, 1990 and the end of February 2006 no objections were raised towards 1,885 (4) applications for liquidation because of poor financial situation in accordance with art. 19 of the Act on State Enterprises. This figure accounts for 32.9% of the total number of transformed enterprises. 1,032 (10) enterprises were struck from the register, while in 677 (1) bankruptcy was declared.
In the period January - February 2006, the Minister of the Treasury did not raise objections towards 1 application for liquidation for economic reasons. Within the same period, in 1 case liquidation was completed by way of striking out of an enterprise from the register of entrepreneurs and in the case of 1 liquidated enterprise bankruptcy was declared.
1 Numbers in brackets refer to privatisation activities of the Government appointed in the course of the Fifth Parliament, i.e. within the period from October 31, 2005 until February 28, 2006.
2 Statistical Bulletin, No. 12, GUS (Central Statistical Office), Warsaw, 2006, Table 61